OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
* To offer low cost, high quality spay and neuter services to the community in an effort to reduce the number of homeless animals.
* To provide education on the importance of valuing and respecting the lives of our companion animals.
* To provide care to sick and injured homeless animals until permanent loving homes are found through our adoption services.
The Shelby County Humane Society is a non-profit, no-kill rescue located in Shelbyville, Kentucky. "No-kill" means animals stay with us or in foster homes until they are adopted. No animal is euthanized unless it is medically necessary. Our work includes rescue of homeless animals, pet adoptions, a spay/neuter program, The Buddy Bus Transport Program, Chains No More and humane education. It is our goal to provide these services to the best of our ability in the hope that we can significantly reduce the number of unwanted and homeless animals in our community, as well as educating the public about responsible pet ownership. We gratefully accept donations and any volunteer time you have to offer.
The Shelby County Humane Society is a group of people who love animals. We are a society because we share these common beliefs:
- We believe it is morally wrong to kill companion animals just because there are "too many of them".
- We believe that it is part of the responsibility of all human beings to be kind and take care of animals. Consequently, if there are more animals than homes, we have a responsibility to control the population by spaying and neutering these animals so they do not continue to multiply.
- We believe that it is reasonable to require by law that people take care of their animals, which includes providing proper housing, veterinary care and having them spayed and neutered unless they are excellent specimens of their breed and being bred with the intention of improving their breed.
- We believe that the humane way to handle feral cats is to trap them in live traps, spay/neuter and vaccinate them to be returned to an area where someone has agreed to feed and watch over the group. Please visit Operation Catsnips website at www.operationcatsnipky.org and help to control the feral cat population in Shelby Co KY.